Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A to Z Challenge 2015: M - A Monster Calls/Princess Mononoke

Hump day again!

Today I have something special for you.

I couldn't pick just one story for the letter M, so I picked two! My two favorites.

First is another Patrick Ness novel, which in case the story itself wasn't already poignant enough, is a tale he wrote finishing an idea a friend and fellow writer of his, Siobhan Dowd, had before she died.

Is that something in my eye?

Today's first 2015 April A to Z Blogging Challenge story for the letter M:

A Monster Calls

Here is the summary, from Goodreads:

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.


Author: Patrick Ness (from an original idea by Siobhan Dowd)

. . .

But like I said, today I have something special for you.

Two stories!

A book by one of my favorite authors, and a film by my favorite writer and director of animated features, the legend, Hayao Miyazaki.

Not only is Princess Mononoke a great film, it is, in my humble opinion, Miyazaki-san's greatest achievement. I did a list of my favorite Miyazaki films a while back on this blog, you can find it on my series page.

Anyway, how is your challenge going? I actually got behind on posting, and I've slowed down a little with my visiting, but I'm otherwise still going steady.

Today's second 2015 April A to Z Blogging Challenge story for the letter M:

Princess Mononoke

Here is the summary, from IMDB:

On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.

Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Writer: Hayao Miyazaki
Stars: Billy Crudup, Billy Bob Thornton, Claire Danes

Isn't it interesting how the summaries for movies are always so much shorter than the summaries for books? That's it! Please come back tomorrow.

19 comments:

DA Cairns said...

Challenge is going well. I am still writing the posts on the day or the day before. Can't seem to get ahead but that's cool. Still making lots of visits. Appreciated your recent visit to Square Pegs. A Monster Calls sounds good.

Unknown said...

Ooooh, these sound super good!

Anything and Everything Paranormal Blog said...

Monster Calls sound good.

Stephen Tremp said...

A Monster Calls looks like a great read. I'll definitley check that one out.

Stephen Tremp
A to Z Cohost
M is for Movies

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still want to read A Monster Calls.
Saw Princess Mononoke in the theater. It is a really good film.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Princess Mononoke is one of my absolute favorite movies! So beautiful... :)

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great theme. These both look great. I love it that you chose Jaws for J day. Thanks for visiting my blog. Waves from Brainerd, MN!

S. L. Hennessy said...

A Monster Calls sounds terrific.

Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today, Matthew. Much appreciated.

It seems we both went the monster route for M. :)

The challenge is going fine. I usually hit a wall around K, but after that it gets easier again.

kaonevar said...

Princess Mononoke is one of my all time favorite anime films. Love it!
-Raven Oak (A-Z Challenge Participant @ www.ravenoak.net)

Shonna Slayton said...

Thanks to your blog I've just added two movies to my want-to-watch list. I'd not heard of Princess Mononoke, and I'd forgotten about Castle in the Sky. Thanks for the rec's and for visiting my blog. So far so good on the A to Z challenge.

Kate Larkindale said...

I love Miyazaki films! The animation is so beautiful.

Natalie Zaman said...

So cool to see you are doing this! ♥ your theme :)

Cher'ley said...

They sound like interesting books. Thanks for sharing. I'm Cher'ley with Writing Wranglers and Warriors https://writingwranglersandwarriors.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/m-is-for-meetings/#comments We are part of the A to Z Challenge.

pamlovesbooks said...

sadly i cant say that i've read either of these. i'm not a fan of princess mononoke, although my kid(s) read it and I dont like monsters, except for Mike and Sully. Now when you start taking PIRATES? i'll be on board!

Anonymous said...

Hi popping over from the A-Z challenge to say G'day!
Fellow Blogger
Kim In Australia

Michael G-G said...

I have to say that the cover of A MONSTER CALLS has always given me the heebiejeebies, and I have never had the courage to crack it open...

Lisa said...

My kids introduced me to Princess Mononoke, and Nausicaa. I have such good memories of watching both of these with them, and another one, with a house that flew and a hunched over character? Do you know that one? Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

HistorySleuth said...

Who would think a monster story could come from such a touching situation. Pretty odd!

I was a few behind but I'm caught up. Busy work week.
Thanks for visiting my blog! History Sleuth's Writing local history - Blogging A-Z