Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A to Z Challenge 2015: G - Grasshopper Jungle

Happy Hump Day!

Today we have the seventh letter, the letter G. This story is slated to be adapted into a film by Sony Pictures, written by Scott Rosenberg and directed by Edgar Wright, but today I'll be focusing on the novel.

This novel won both the Horn Book Award, and a Michael L. Printz honor, which I don't believe has ever happened before. An instant classic, this book has rocked publishing with its courage to take a truly honest look at male adolescence.

Today's 2015 April A to Z Blogging Challenge story for the letter G:

Grasshopper Jungle

This is perhaps my favorite YA novel ever written. Weird, wonderful, raunchy, and raw, Grasshopper Jungle is the strangest story, with the most authentic boy voice teen narrator I have ever read. It's disturbing, and hilarious, and it is a tale whose stark beauty and breathtaking honesty I will never forget.

Here is the summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Austin Szerba interweaves the story of his Polish legacy with the story of how he and his best friend, Robby, brought about the end of humanity and the rise of an army of unstoppable, six-foot tall praying mantises in small-town Iowa.

To make matters worse, Austin's hormones are totally oblivious; they don't care that the world is in utter chaos: Austin is in love with his girlfriend, Shann, but remains confused about his sexual orientation. He's stewing in a self-professed constant state of maximum horniness, directed at both Robby and Shann. Ultimately, it's up to Austin to save the world and propagate the species in this sci-fright journey of survival, sex, and the complex realities of the human condition.


Author: Andrew Smith

That's it! Please come back tomorrow!

22 comments:

Anything and Everything Paranormal Blog said...

Think I'll add this to my To be read list. The summary intrigued me.

Dani said...

I have been wanting to read this. It sounds so good and he is such a great author!

Elise Fallson said...

This book is so damn good. I read it in two days, and I'm a slow reader.

Wendy said...

Isn't G the seventh letter? Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned the authentic voice of a teenage boy. I imagine making a character REAL through dialogue must be the toughest challenge for a writer.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Doesn't sound like my style but glad you enjoyed it so much.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

looks intriguing... love a good grasshopper jaunt... Welcome in the letter "G"... thank you!
Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

Anonymous said...

yay for Drew!!! I am featuring his books the whole month of June. You should stop guest post.

Tamara Narayan said...

I've never heard of this one, but it sounds completely bizarre in a good way.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I've actually never heard of this one before, but it sounds like a great read!

Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

Michael G-G said...

Maybe the best YA book you've ever read? High praise indeed, as I know you've read a lot of them--as well as all the other books by Andrew Smith! Will have to check it out.

Mel said...

And I've just added this to my GR list! Sounds atrociously awesome :)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Raunchy and raw...I'll have to give it a whirl.

Silvia Writes said...

The idea of a six-foot tall praying mantises in small-town Iowa is captivating, and there is so much more that sounds good. Thank you for mentioning the book.
Best,
Silvia @
Silvia Writes

Nadine_Feldman said...

I've not heard of this one. Will have to take a look. Thanks!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Raunchy and raw...hmmmm perhaps I should give it a whirl

Nilanjana Bose said...

Praying mantises look sinister enough w/o being giants...most authentic teen voice, you mean, better than that catcher in the rye guy? must check it out for myself sometime..sounds rather intriguing

Following you too :)
Best,
Nilanjana

Anonymous said...

I saw the cover when the book came out, and even though I love the color green, it didn't really catch my attention enough to read what the book was about. It does sound interesting.

cleemckenzie said...

It was an amazing read. Glad to see it featured here.

Bish Denham said...

I guess I'm going to have to add this one to my long TBR list! Sounds wonderfully confusing, just like being a teenager.

Jay Noel said...

I'm adding it to my Goodreads pile! Thanks!

Puberty and a giant praying mantis...a winning combo.

Lisa said...

Whoa, now this sounds interesting! Brave author! And ewww, giant praying mantis? I don't mind looking at them, but hate to touch them. Dont want to imagine them taller than me!!! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

J Lenni Dorner said...

J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge 2015!
Great post. I've followed you on your listed social media sites.
@JLenniDorner

What a strange coincidence! I was just looking at one of the book clubs I'm in, and this title was one of the possible books to vote on as a read for June.
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/book-club/(may-2015)-kitschies-month/