Monday, April 20, 2015

A to Z Challenge 2015: Q - Don Quixote

Welcome back to the Challenge!

We are getting close.

This is the final stretch.

For those of you who made it this far: congratulations!

Today's 2015 April A to Z Blogging Challenge story for the letter Q:

Don Quixote

Here is the summary, from Goodreads:

Don Quixote has become so entranced by reading chivalric romances, that he determines to become a knight-errant himself. In the company of his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, his exploits blossom in all sorts of wonderful ways. While Quixote's fancy often leads him astray – he tilts at windmills, imagining them to be giants – Sancho acquires cunning and a certain sagacity. Sane madman and wise fool, they roam the world together, and together they have haunted readers' imaginations for nearly four hundred years.

With its experimental form and literary playfulness, Don Quixote generally has been recognized as the first modern novel. The book has had enormous influence on a host of writers, from Fielding and Sterne to Flaubert, Dickens, Melville, and Faulkner, who reread it once a year, "just as some people read the Bible."


Author: Miguel de Cervantes

Man, I haven't read this one since college. I think I'll give it another go sometime soon.

That's it! Come back tomorrow.

And for something a little special, here's Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, by Pablo Picasso:

"Donquixote". Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Donquixote.JPG#/media/File:Donquixote.JPG

23 comments:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

It's also been awhile since I had looked at this book, well done on the "Q" choice...

Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever read this one.. what does that say about my college education? :)

Nick Wilford said...

I have always meant to read this... need to see if we have a copy somewhere. Or I guess it's free on Kindle.

Already seen you mentioned today with that memorable blog title, Matt!

Anything and Everything Paranormal Blog said...

Haven't read this one.

Steve MC said...

Wanted to read this one ever since Cyrano de Bergerac quoted it. But I'd probably just read Cyrano again 'cause it's much shorter. :p

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't read it in a long time either.

alberta ross said...

brilliant book and equally brilliant painting - nice one:)

just popped in from http://didyoueverkissafrog.typepad.com

Tamara Narayan said...

I've never read this one, and though the name is familiar, this is the first time I've read what it's about.

Had to stop by the QQQE on Q-day! Happy blogging.

Hart Johnson said...

Don Quixote is on my list as most surprising reading delight--it was written SO EARLY that I totally expected stuffy and it is full of silliness and flatulence jokes. I loved it.

Chrys Fey said...

I've never read this one either, but I like the sound of it. :)

Unknown said...

I have a very nice edition of Don Quixote which has been on my bookshelves for years and I've never picked it up and read it. Shame on me. I WILL read it soon.

Arlee Bird said...

I liked the musical Man of la Mancha but that's as much Don Quixote as I've managed. Never have tried tackling the book.


Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Wrote By Rote

cleemckenzie said...

I'm wondering how I'll react to this story now that I'm older and in some ways wiser?

Bish Denham said...

Cervantes gave the world a true gift with this novel. I gave my husband a copy of that same Picasso Quixote. Hubby thinks of Quixote has his "patron saint." We have several statues of him about the house, reminders to keep tilting at windmills, to never give up, to keep the faith and see the beauty in everything.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I haven't read it in a long time either. I should read it again from the perspective of a writer.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

My friend (who teaches Spanish Literature in college) says that Don Quixote should be read in Spanish because it loses so much.

Jay Noel said...

I need to reread it once again myself. It's an important novell.

Lisa said...

This is my favorite drawing of DQ...
Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Megan Herbert said...

I read Don Quixote last year. I did enjoy it. And next year, my theatre company is doing Man of La Mancha, which is based on the book.

Stephen Tremp said...

I need to read that book. Been too long.

Kern Windwraith said...

Cervantes was an amazing author. Did you ever read his Novelas Ejemplares (Exemplary Novels)? Brilliant short(-ish) pieces that looked at some of the social and political issues of the time. Thanks for the reminder to re-read Don Quixote.

Deepti Agarwal said...

I loved the Picture done by Pablo Piccassa..


http://serendipityofdreams.blogspot.in/

Carrie-Anne said...

It made me so annoyed when one girl in my senior year Spanish class (one of the juniors in the class) kept whining, "Dox Quixote es loco." If that's really the only thing you can think about, instead of the deeper themes or what a sincere, sweet person he is, you're really not mature enough to be reading a book like that.