Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A First PROPER DragonCon Post

I know. I wrote about it yesterday, but that was just a segue into trying to trick you people into reading my Project Mayhem post. Not that you should need to be tricked, it's an awesome blog.

I only say tricked because I was chomping at the bit to post these photos, but I couldn't because I'd agreed to cover for a friend, and PM is a FAR more professionally slated blog than this dirty little corner of the World (US) Wide (Thin) Web (Net).

Anyway. Here's a tease. This is the worst photo my shitty camera captured at the Dragon-Non-Con (maybe):


Admittedly, this photo does have one thing going for it: The LOVELY Cole Gibsen taking up the spotlight. Also, it has an excuse: My oldest, Kylie, hit the button on my POS camera.

To be noted: That's my littlest, Madison, on my right (your left) with the panda hat/robe/hakama, and that's Kylie's BFF, Michaela, on my left (your right). I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I promise it's not a passing Princess Leia's cleavage. At least not at this particular moment.

One more thing: God I'm a huge human being. I know the evidence from my meeting with Joe may have suggested otherwise, but it was obviously false.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't write posts the night before anymore. You were probably drunk.

Okay, now it's morning, so hopefully I'll leave all that surliness and poor humor behind. Here's a better picture of a similar situation:


I don't know what has Madison grinning so broadly, but at least it's obvious she's having a blast.

Here's one I took:


Boy, my camera sucks. Oh well. You probably can't tell, but Kylie is wearing her cat eye/demon eye colored contacts. That was her way of dressing up. You can see what I'm talking about in this post.

That's it for photos for today. I'll share some of the awesome costumes with you guys tomorrow and maybe Thursday.

I talked a little bit more about Cole, what a great friend she is, and how nice it was to meet her in my Project Mayhem post yesterday, and I linked you to all her important stuff, but there was one more thing I forgot to mention that I wanted you guys to read, if you have time.

I used to do these successful query letter guest posts on my blog when I was first getting started, and Cole was one of my very first guests. You can read that post, here: KATANA.

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, all photos of me suck! And I'm sure there was some cleavage watching at some point. Some of those costumes cover less that a bikini.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Matthew .. great pictures .. love seeing you all happily enjoying yourselves .. cheers Hilary

vic caswell said...

awwww! you guys look like you're having so much fun! hooray!

Shain Brown said...

Cleavage or not you seem to be enjoying yourself. And really who enjoys sitting for the camera.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Actually, I liked the pictures because everyone looks so happy.

lisa and laura said...

LOVE this pictures! You guys are a good looking bunch! Wish we could have been there!

Sommer Leigh said...

These pictures are great! We've decided to hit DragonCon next year and I'm very excited :-)

Kelly Polark said...

I did hear that Carrie FIsher was at Dragon Con. And more importantly that Joe Manganiello was there from True BLood!! Did you see them?
Looks like a blast!!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

The photos are beatiful! Wat'use talk'n 'bout? :)

Old Kitty said...

I'd be distracted too by a Princess Leia's cleavage. :-)

Take care
x

Michael G-G said...

Looks like you're all having a ton of fun. Can't wait for the costumes post!

Slamdunk said...

At least we know that you are not undead in that you do photograph. Of to read your Project M. post.

Ted Cross said...

I try to stay out of photos as much as I can! That's why I always take them myself.

Hart Johnson said...

This looks great--how fun your kids like some of the same stuff you do--mine will join my in Harry Potter adventures, but that's about it. And I'm a large human being too, so I hear ya...

Carolyn V said...

I love the photos. I bet it was a ton of fun!

LTM said...

you're so funny--looks like you're all having a blast. What IS Dragon-Con? Some DND thing?

Saw that Community in reruns last week... :D

Samantha Vérant said...

Wait?! Princess Lea was there? How cool was that? I LOVE the panda hat and now need one. Your kids DO look happy, and it sounds like an interesting time. I miss the US!

Jeff Beesler said...

Writers come in all shapes and sizes, Matt. I for one think your visage will only serve your authorial presence more. You could be the guy who rescues a literary agent from being hounded at a writers conference, and then you'll have an in for sure!

Marsha Sigman said...

Those are great pictures! I take horrible pictures but I usually blame my husband.

I don't think he holds the camera right. I'm sticking with that excuse.

Hannah said...

Does anyone like photos of themselves?? I sure don't!

Thanks for sharing!! I wish I had time and monies for more Cons. *sad face*

Melissa Sarno said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I've never heard of DragonCon until today.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your daughter's panda hat is cute!

Will Burke said...

I'm hit-and-miss with photoes, unless my wife's family is taking the pictures. They often take a couple minutes to figure out their shot, so I have my hurrt-up-and-take-the-damn-picture face. Looking forward to more pix!

Bryan Russell said...

Looks like fun. I'm gonna have to make to a con, someday...

Unknown said...

Okay, so that's your daughter! Love the hat. And no matter where you are looking, it looks like you're having a blast.

M Pax said...

Looks like a blast. :) Will go check out your other post.

Bkloss said...

So glad to know you're enjoying yourself! (though, no big surprise, eh?) Don't you love how photos seem to capture moments we don't remember (ie wandering gazes...)

Or maybe that's the point, lol.

Thanks for sharing!

Jo Schaffer said...

Fun! My husband might be involved in in of those conference thingies...

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I want to go to DragonCon. Did you get to meet Michael Whelan? He was there as a guest of honor. I think I might have fainted if I got the chance to meet him.

Steve MC said...

Thanks for sharing such cool photos.

I don't think I've ever posted a photo of myself. Maybe if I get a panda hat...

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Oh, great photos! I'm so jealous you got to go to DragonCon. I was just having the discussion with my friends, "Which would you rather go to, DragonCon or ComicCon?" It was a heated debate, as I'm sure you can imagine.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Glad you all had a good time. I have go to go one of these years.

Anita said...

What fuuuun!!!

Sarah Ahiers said...

hell, do you know how many photos of me i had to take to get the one that was on my blog? Dozens. Also, tomorrow i'll be posting another photo of me. I took 42 photos and got like maaaybe a dozen that were useable. So, no worries. No one looks at you thinks your a huge human being. I just look at you and think you're having a rocking time. And then i'm jealous of Madison's hat

Stacy McKitrick said...

I took NO photos of myself, but then I was by myself (in a way) and had complete control of my camera. Of course, I could have had my daughter take my picture, but since I didn't bother wearing a costume, didn't see any sense in that. Dragon*Con was great. I hope I'm able to go next year.

And if anyone wants to see the pictures I took, they can hop on over to my blog (hint-hint).

Donna K. Weaver said...

Can people see out of those contacts well. They make my eyes water in sympathy.

Great pictures.

Cole Gibsen said...

I had such a good time meeting you, too! And your girls? Seriously awesome! I could have hung out with you guys all day :)