Thursday, September 22, 2011

Caledonia Lass's Current Query

More queries. Today is Caledonia Lass's. I do know about her blog, so you need to go follow it, before we move on: here.

Now, you guys remember how this works, right? Today is just for introductions. Please save your feedback for tomorrow.

Here's her query:

Dear Ms. X,

I am pleased to submit for your consideration my fantasy adventure novel, Adversarius, Shadow Of The Rose: Book One, complete at 61,921 words. Book two, Veritas is nearing completion and book three, Bellum is in rough draft form.

The two kingdoms of Paridzule and Relavia have been battling since before recorded history. Relavia's motivation for war? Power. Paridzule has fought valiantly to maintain their borders and have built a formidable navy, but so far all of their efforts have just kept Relavia contained.

In a desperate bid to put an end to the conflicts once and for all, Kayta Ni'adzul's father decides to arrange a marriage between his eldest daughter, Senweis, and the sole heir of Relavia, Alabassin. But Alabassin quickly discovers he doesn't want Senweis; he wants Kayta instead. Alabassin's father refuses to allow a union between the two kingdoms and launches an attack that would let him take over Paridzule with very little resistance. A ship Kayta and her brother are traveling on is attacked by pyrates. She's thrown overboard and left for dead but an unlikely rescuer comes to her aid.

With no memory of who she is, Kayta suddenly faces strange places and meets new people. Some of them are legendary, others are downright deadly. Now it is a race to see who will arrive in Paridzule first, Kayta or Relavia's armies. But if Kayta can't recall who she is, how can she fight for a home she doesn't remember?

Although I have yet to be published, I love books that center around a large world and introduce some of the same characters over again or even just mention a beloved character's name as a history reference. Adversarius is the beginning of such stories. I've also been blogging for over a year and have an internet presence on sites such as Twitter, Facebook and AbsoluteWrite.

With heavy emphasis on world-building and strong, memorable characters, Adversarius, Shadow Of The Rose: Book One will appeal to readers who enjoy such works as Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Lord of the Rings.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this proposal, I look forward to hearing from you.

That's it for today.

Please go follow her blog, say hello in the comments, and be sure to come back tomorrow for the critique!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad she sent it to you, Matthew!

Karen Baldwin said...

Her series sound interesting. Can't wait to see your comments. My only one is that I've heard it's not wise to mention sequels...to just pitch the first book.

Shannon said...

Interesting premise. Looking forward to the comments tomorrow. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is me saying hello from the comments. See you tomorrow for sure.

Old Kitty said...

Pyrates!! Yay!!

See you tomorrow! Take care
x

Sarah Ahiers said...

i was actually a reader for this story, so i'm excited to see the comments on this tomorrow (and throw in my own as well, of course)

Ishta Mercurio said...

Hey there! I'll be back tomorrow - I look forward to seeing your comments.

Michael G-G said...

Tomorrow is another day! (I'll be there.)

Talli Roland said...

Ooh,I like it, I like it! Can't wait to see what you say about it. Hi to Calendonia Lass. :)

Angela Brown said...

YAY for another query. Another great chance for query education. Thanks to Caledonia for submitting this query for critique.

Jackee said...

Good luck, Caledonia. So cool that you do this, Matthew....

Have a great day!

ali cross said...

Okey doke. I think the feedback is going to be awesome and super helpful!

LTM said...

ew... so much to say. hmmm... tomorrow. I know. :D

Mel Chesley said...

Hi everyone! ::Waves:: Super nervous/excited about tomorrow. Glad I have support! ::Waves at Alex, Sarah and Talli:: Phew!

Rusty Carl said...

I've learned more from these query posts than I have from almost all the other querying resources I've come across. I await tomorrows post with great interest.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Caledonia is such a pretty author name. That in itself should warrant a book deal.