Monday, February 10, 2014

Blogging Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith Part 8


I finished PART 3: THE SILO this weekend. That, and I watched a lot of the Olympics. The second half of part 3 ends with these not-chapters: SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENS WHILE SOMEONE ELSE DANCES • LUCKY, IN POLISH BOY NAMES • MOVIE NIGHT IN EDEN • THE GOOD DOCTOR ACCOUNTS FOR HISTORY • UNSTOPPABLE CORN! UNSTOPPABLE CORN! • THREE OF FIVE • THE ORPHAN FELEK

These are some of the longest sections of the book. They explore some deep and distant history, but eventually, all roads converge.

Some of the best lines from this part of the book are:

It was Ingrid's silent way of kissing me.

Nobody would ever take an army of Communists without balls seriously.

Spanish missionaries were really good at naming shit.

Most of those are even better with context. I notice that the pace of the book slows a bit through this part. I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean that the not-chapters are longer, there are more large paragraphs and long sentences, and I think Austin is a bit more contemplative (of course he's still sarcastic and hilarious ... and horny).

It's a sort of a deep breath before the plunge.

Now, I know hardly anyone is reading these, but make sure you comment if you do drop by because I'm giving away a copy of this book (which releases tomorrow) when this series of posts is done, and you have to comment on at least one of the posts to be entered. Then, on Friday the 14th, Amy Del Rosso will be giving away another copy, when I take part in her tour.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That would be an army of unichs.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I love things that are named well.

Old Kitty said...

I'm waiting for the figure skating to happen before I watch any winter olympics!

Take care
x

Sarah Ahiers said...

We missed a bunch of the olympics because we were up at the cabin, but we're catching up now. My new favorite sport to watch: Biathalon. Who knew? It's so totally awesome

SC Author said...

I like watching skiing, surprisingly, and figure skating.

Jay Noel said...

This book intrigues me. And I'm terrible at naming shit.

I'm hooked on the Olympics. I watch as much of it as I can. Although the opening ceremony as a snoozer.