Thursday, December 6, 2012

Kim Van Sickler's Current Query

Morning. I'm running late, so I'm just going to throw this up. Kim Van Sickler can be found at her group blog: Swagger Writers.

Here's her query:

Dear Agent,

(First sentence is personalized to explain why I'm applying to this agent.) Fiddlesticks: Witches Can't Write is a completed 70,000-word upper middle grade urban fantasy.

What's a mortal-loving witch who was born to write do when it's time to pick a career? For Saryn Q. Fiddlesticks, a 13-year-old preparing to select her Life's Mission, the writing's not on the wall. Saryn's options are to let The Academy of Witches and Wizards tell her what to do, go mortal so she can follow her passion, or there's a third option, but it's batty.... All she has to do is convince The Academy that their superstition against writing is unfounded, persuade them to change the law, and coax them into recognizing a new Life's Mission of Writer.

As if that task isn't impossible enough, Saryn is ambushed by Gaylord Culbreath, her half-brother's eccentric mentor, who plans to use her to destroy the world. As Saryn battles Culbreath, then the witching establishment at her Coming-of-Age Ceremony, she must decide how far she's willing to go to follow her dream.

Future fans of Cynthia Hand's Unearthly series might enjoy this book.

My credits include publication of two MG short story fantasies in the Center for Writing Excellence's Fiction in Five anthologies. I am an active member of SCBWI, and run a blog-- http://swaggerwriters.blogspot.com/ -- of six writers.

Thank you for taking the time to review (however many pages were requested.) I look forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

Kim Van Sickler

That's it!

Please thank Kim for sharing, and save your feedback for tomorrow.

11 comments:

Heather Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing, Kim! I'm always amazed when people feel comfortable sharing queries in public. :) It helps us all out. Maybe someday I'll be that brave too. :) Thanks!

mshatch said...

This sounds like a fun story. I'll be back tomorrow to see what Matt has to say :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Short and to the point!

Jay Noel said...

Cool...all this because of her passion for her writing!

Anita said...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing this Kim. It sounds like a fun story.

Bryan Russell said...

Interesting. Reminds me a little of the The Story That Must Not Be Named.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'll be interested to see what you think of this query, Matt.

PK HREZO said...

Okay, I LURVE the name Fiddlesticks!

(and thx for stopping by with congrats on my blog, Matt)

Sarah said...

I don't read much MG, but I'll try to make it back tomorrow with some feedback!

Nancy Thompson said...

Very succinct!