Monday, November 14, 2011

LuLu Short Story Contest


I've entered some of my stories in the LuLu Short Story Contest. The pieces I've entered are ones I refer to as flash fiction, because they're so short they don't really contain a plot, and I don't consider that to be a short story, but it doesn't really matter.

You can enter pretty much any piece of fiction, as long as it's less than 600 words long (not counting title or byline), and you can win $500 or a Nook, or some other stuff. It's very easy to enter, all you have to do is convert your story to the epub format, which LuLu let's you do for free.

I've entered three stories, and I would really appreciate if you guys would go download them, and read them. I don't think it makes any difference in the contest whether or how often they're downloaded, but the editions I made are free, and you can read them on any device that can read an epub file. Plus, I hope you'll enjoy them.

You can get them here:

Babysat by the Man in the Moon.

A Deafening Silence.

Lake Argo.

Please give them a read, and let me know what you think! If you prefer to just read them online (I've made some tiny edits since they first went up), you can just check the links on the My Writing page. If you do that please be sure to leave a comment. Thanks!

I also encourage all of you to enter. It's very easy to put your story on LuLu, and who knows, maybe one of us will win. Otherwise, have the best Monday you can. I know, it's hard.

26 comments:

Sarah said...

Just downloaded them, though I think I might have read at least one of them (?) already. Best of luck with this! I don't really write short stuff, though I probably should, since it's a great exercise in craft.

Marta Szemik said...

That is great! Good Luck Matt.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the contest!

Vikki said...

Ooooh, I love short story contests. Thanks for the info, and good luck! Your writing is awesome!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The prize is certainly good!

Old Kitty said...

Yay!! Well I'm at work so can't really dowload anything without the IT Mafia Crowd reporting me to my boss so I'll have to wait till I get home! Yay! Can't wait!! Thanks for the info into the comp! I was looking for a nice one to enter too.. hoorrah!! Take care
x

LTM said...

you know I love your flash fiction! It's awesome. So do we vote on these??? Must go check this out~

Good luck! :o)

Yvonne Osborne said...

I will read and comment. I would submit but 600 words is pretty limited for my wordiness. But, hey, if I can do flash 55's I should be able to do a flash 600.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Dude, I got a Nook for my birthday! Woo-hoo, I can read your stories! Just downloaded all of them. I'll get back to you.

Jessica Bell said...

I hope you win!!! :o) I'll read them online. What's the deadline?

Emily White said...

Good luck!!!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Hee! GOOD LUCK, MATT!!

I just read Babysat by the Man in the Moon and LOVED it!!

My favorite parts?

"Pincers, eyes and antennae; they clicked against the glass lethargically but I imagined they were ancient warriors of an elder race who fought for honor among the crustacean tribes."

and

"We drove into the Horse Heaven Hills for the Eclipse. Suddenly I was on the moon, the furthest reaches of space within my grasp. I reached out and caught hold of a distant star in the palm of my little hand. I was the Eater of Worlds! So I plucked a white dwarf down from Heaven and placed it lovingly into my mouth."

The Eater of Worlds. So creative and so much fun to read :)

Talli Roland said...

Good luck! What a fabulous prize.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope you win the big prize, Matthew!

Johanna Garth said...

Will do! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

It's on my list to download when I get home tonight. GOOD LUCK!!

Lydia Kang said...

I hope you win, Matthew!

D.G. Hudson said...

Just read all three of your short stories.

I identified with the young child watching the world around her and loving the moon, like I did.

As for the dying man, it brought back memories of both my parents who went through similar hospital stays, but for different reasons than the pickled heart.

I think Lake Argo is my favorite though, as I picture a woodland elf (a la LOTR)or a woodsman. I could have kept on reading this one.

These are great short pieces, Matt. I prefer to comment here, and read these off your short fiction list. My vote would go for Lake Argo. It resonates with a part of me that likes fantasy. (and wonders at the coming hordes...)

Matthew MacNish said...

Thanks D.G.! It is supposed to be a kind of elf in Lake Argo, but I know the story doesn't really make it obvious.

Bryan Russell said...

I believe I recognize those stories!

Christina Lee said...

Cool beans--off I go!

Carolyn Abiad said...

I need to come back and read these...
Hope you win, Matt!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds great! I'll check them out - although my reading time will be severely limited until nano is over - and I just got a book I promised to review! We really need a time machine!

alexia said...

I read the Man in the Moon one... awesome!

storyqueen said...

My favorite is Lake Argo. There is just something about it...I would have kept on reading and reading. There is a distinct voice there that is very compelling.

Well done on all of them!

Shelley

Melissa Sugar said...

Good luck. Awesome prizes, I hope you win.