Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gleesday

Today's post is going to be pretty short. I did watch Glee last night but I did not take notes. I was also a bit disappointed with the episode. Where was Sue? Where was Emma? Where was Jessie? Okay, I don't give a damn about Jessie, I'm glad he wasn't there ... but I do care about the rest.

It almost seems like each episode gets a little less glee-like than the last. I mean it's still not bad. It's still much better, much funnier than most TV, but it seems to be getting away from what made it great to begin with: singing. Sure they still sing and they did have a couple of fun songs last night but it seems to me they've really gotten away from the greatness of numbers like "Don't Stop Believin". Heck my daughter's eighth grade choir even covered that song at their performance last night because Glee made it so cool again.

Anyway I don't have a whole lot else to add but I will point you to a story I heard on NPR about the actor who played Finn's disabled friend in last night's episode. Apparently the actor, Zack Weinstein, actually is disabled and was happy to get a role playing someone in that condition, or otherwise. It seems that the actor who plays Artie, who happens to have the same name as the great Celtic, Kevin McHale, is not disabled in real life, even though Artie does not have the use of his legs in the show.

Isn't it great that NPR covers stories like this? Stories you would never hear anywhere else?

I would think that kind of thing might bother a disabled actor, but Zack doesn't have a problem with it. He just wishes that disabled actors could be considered for more kinds of roles, not only ones in which they have to play characters with disabilities. It turns out that he really is paralyzed from the chest down after a spinal injury, but he doesn't see why a person, even as disabled as he is, can't be the strong male lead, even a hero.

So that's it for today's Glee post. I know it's not as fun and I'm sorry, but don't forget to come back tomorrow for Rachele's from Freckle Head's critique of my query, and especially Friday for Katie from Creepy Query Girl's guest post!

UPDATE: I am also training some new hires today at work, so I will not have time to comment on as many blogs as I usually do. Sorry about that.

24 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

No prob, Matt. Enjoy your day at work. Grrr...I don't watch Glee. Sorry. Every time you post about, though, it makes me think I should.

Lola Sharp said...

I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't watch Glee.

I do, however, listen to NPR.

Have fun training your fresh meat today.

~Lola

Creepy Query Girl said...

I've finally caught up on glee episodes but haven't watched the latest one yet so I'm glad that you didn't go too into detail:) I can't wait for friday either! Let me know if you need any questions or notes for the post!

Christina Lee said...

yeah the last couple of weeks have been MEH. But I'll take more of the puck number FO SHO! ;--)

kah said...

Well, I wasn't going to comment because I don't watch GLEE so I felt I had nothing to add, but then I saw Lola's comment and had to let her know she isn't alone. ;)

Matthew MacNish said...

CQG, I sent you an email, I'll go comment on your blog again too.

Ted Cross said...

I've never even heard of Glee. But then, I haven't watched TV in years. Living overseas does that to a person!

Old Kitty said...

I'm just about caught up with the Madonna-full glee episode. So am well behind here.

:-)

Thanks for the NPR story link. Zack Weinstein should be given a lead role asap in a long running series. He is gorgeous, intelligent, thoughtful and needs a break to make his name!! Darn it! Here's hoping.

Good luck with the staff training.

Take care
x

Unknown said...

Good luck with training your new hires! I hope you still stop by my blog! Hehe!

I love Glee, and though I missed Sue Sylvester I still very much enjoyed the episode. I'm a newbie to the Glee world so I probably haven't seen anything that great but I am glad that I did get to at least see the amazing Madonna episode! I'm also looking forward to Neil Patrick Harris!

Matthew MacNish said...

Ooh thanks for the reminder Jen. I'm looking forward to Neil Patrick Harris too.

Cherie Reich said...

I love Glee, but I do agree with you. Since the break between the seasons, it seems like there isn't as much singing as there used to be, and that's what made the show great. I'm hoping once they really get closer to regionals that it'll all change.

Laura Pauling said...

I want to watch Glee but I know I'll get sucked in! Maybe summer reruns. Have a good day!

JE said...

Bleh...Glee :-P

Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of what you really want to be doing? LoL

~JD

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

I noticed the same thing about the episode. It was still good. Great message and really when they pulled out "The Boy is Mine" my brain zeroed into memories of my Junior High years!!

As for the young man who played Finn's friend - loved that story line! Rachel needed that and she needs to realize that Finn is who she needs...I can't believe I just typed that! Not only for the soap opera tone but because wasn't it just the other day she was chasing after him?????? lol

Have a great work day Matt!

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Laura S. said...

Lola, you're not the only person on the planet who doesn't watch Glee! I don't watch it either, but I'm bummed I missed that Madonna episode. I hope it's a re-run this summer.

Good for Zack! I don't see why disabled (or as a handicapped friend of mine says, differently-abled!) actors can't get leading roles either. But the Hollywood industry is obsessed with that they define as "perfect" so it's really not surprising there aren't more. It's a real shame, though.

Good luck with your trainees, Matthew!

Angie Paxton said...

I have to disagree. I thought Glee last night was great. I love the storyline with Kurt and his dad and I loved the song Kurt performed. That boy has a career on Broadway waiting for him after Glee ends. I also LOVED Puck and Mercedes duet on the Sammy David Jr. number. I will have to agree on one point though I needed me some more Sue. Where was she?

Lindsay said...

No problems Matthew, just don't work too hard. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Angie, you sure are right about Kurt, he rocks! And as a straight (me, not him) man his dad does seem caring and understanding. I'll have to check with some gay friends to see if they agree.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I haven't watched Glee in awhile. Glad you highlighted they used an actual disabled guy in a role.

I remember the first time they did the Christmas commercial for Kaye's Jewelry and did a deaf skit. As a deaf woman it meant a lot to see people embrace that. (Hugs)Indigo

Arlee Bird said...

I had been kind of disappointed over the last few weeks -- still good, but not as good as last year. However I thought last night was superb. I really liked the musical numbers although they are too short.

Maybe it was just my state of mind or maybe because American Idol was not that good, but I give the May 11 episode a high rating.

Lee
May 17th FIFTEEN FANTASY ISLAND FAVORITES

DEZMOND said...

Eh, I remember how two years ago while I was announcing the beginning of this show with a lot of optimism and positive vibes, people were looking at me quite suspiciously and sceptically, so I'm glad that it became such a great hit after all :)

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm only 12 hours later than usual...I think the kids were watching a Tom & Jerry DVD last night so no Glee here.

I WILL be here tomorrow for your critique and how could I miss Creepy's guest post?

Tahereh said...

ok, um, would you hate me if i said i don't really watch Glee? like, at all..?

Shannon said...

Hi Matt,

Thank you for sharing the NPR story. And I agree, the episode was kinda meh.

Do you watch Modern Family? That's a show we actually DVR. It's pretty good.