Monday, November 22, 2010

Justine Dell's Query for LOST AND FOUND

This week we're going to be doing another query workshop here on the QQQE. We're going to be breaking down Justine Dell's query for her MG novel, LOST AND FOUND. If you don't know Justine, you should definitely visit her blog and become a follower. She's been on hiatus lately, but once she comes back her Grammar Police posts are really useful.

Anyway, today I'm just going to be sharing her query, saving the feedback until tomorrow. Feel free to say hello, or ask any questions you might have, but please also save your own feedback for tomorrow as well. Thanks!

Now, Justine's query:


Twelve-year-old Kelly Moore is determined to do something someone her age has never done before: win a National Barrel Racing Championship. All she has to do is win the State Finals and she’ll be on her way. When her beloved horse, Rocket, and seven other horses are stolen right after she competes at the finals, Kelly freaks.

Kelly’s biggest fear is that her horse is on its way to the slaughterhouse. She hangs missing horse flyers everywhere and questions everyone. No luck. When she accuses a barn manager of theft and breaks in to his office in an attempt to prove his guilt, Kelly’s gets a dose of parental retribution. But she won’t give up.

Kelly’s nemesis, Missy, had her horse stolen too. And Missy’s bound and determined to not let Kelly leave her out of the chase. Kelly finally catches a hot lead and does the unthinkable: hides in the horse thief’s trailer with Missy at her side. They find the horses but get caught by the bad guys in the process. No one’s future is looking bright when a fire engulfs the barn they’re in.

Kelly must put her dislike of Missy aside while they work together. If she doesn’t, the girls won’t be able to save themselves—or their beloved horses—before it’s too late for them all.

LOST AND FOUND, a middle grade novel, is complete at 31,000 words.

Please don't forget to come back tomorrow to see what I think about this query, and to give some of your own feedback. I realize it's a holiday week, and blogging should be slow, but let's give Justine all the help we can - tomorrow.

Thanks!

26 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

She has a good idea. Will tune in tomorrow!

Shain Brown said...

I started reading it and honestly I didn't expect to read the entire query. I don't read middle grade, but I kept reading, and kept reading. I really wanted to know what happened to Kelly and her horse.


This sounds like such a great read and something a lot kids would love. I can't wait until tomorrow.

Christina Lee said...

Hi Justine (and Matt)! What a refreshing concept you have here! See you tomorrow!

JE said...

Thanks for posting (and helping) Matt!

I normally write romance, so this middle grade thing was all new to me. And it's hard.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

~JD

Jessica Bell said...

I'll be back! :o)

Stina said...

Can't wait to see your magic, Matt, though I won't be able to check it out tomorrow. But I will on Wednesday. :D

Old Kitty said...

Awww what a sweet and very adventurous premise! I like that it's two girls putting aside their difference to work together!! yay! take care
x

Joanna St. James said...

sounds like a good idea count me in - the not a query expert

Jess said...

It's been too long since I've read a horse story- looking forward to seeing more of this query!

Lydia Kang said...

I like it! There needs to be more horse stories out there. I heard agents are looking for them!

Mason Canyon said...

This sounds intriguing. I'll be checking back.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Arlee Bird said...

Hello. I'll check back.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love horses so this definitely caught my eye.

LTM said...

short, sweet and to the point. Add an initial 'graph of personalization, and I'd say she has a winner....

see ya tomorrow~ :D <3

Sarah Ahiers said...

yay for horse books! They are so full of win!
Now i want to watch some Saddle Club

JE said...

Oh, Sarah! Emily LOVES the Saddle Club! I'll admit, I enjoyed those shows, too! Except the new ones. I like the orginal cast members. ;-)

~JD

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Love the premise! Can't wait to see the feedback. :-)

Joanne Brothwell said...

Great query. Looking forward to your feedback, Matthew.

Talli Roland said...

Love all the conflict in the query! Looking forward to your thoughts, Matthew!

Candyland said...

Sounds interesting. Will def. be back to see more...
(you and your teasers...)

Colene Murphy said...

As always, anticipating your input!

You have an award waiting should you need it.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

You're awesome to host this! I'll try to stop back tomorrow, if I don't get waylaid by the kids-at-home syndrome. :)

IanBontems said...

Nice query Justine and thanks for posting it Matt.

I enjoyed this, and really got the tone of the novel from the query and thought it flowed well in concisely telling the story.

Looking forward to reading the query comments tomorrow.

Creepy Query Girl said...

So nice to see another query workshop. I know I learned so much with mine! And Justine- this story sounds really great!

Southpaw said...

I'll be back too.

Shannon said...

Great to see another query workshop. I love these. We can all learn from them and I get to read about what my fellow blog buddies are working on.

Be back tomorrow!