Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Weekend Recap

I had a severe cold all weekend. No fever, but very sore throat, constant cough, and endless sniffling. I don't know what's wrong with me. I never used to get sick. Maybe I'm getting old. Anyway I said eff it and had a great time anyway.

Kelly and I went to a party on Friday night. No not a birthday party. A grown up party. With beer. And a band. It's been a long time. It was actually thrown by some friends from Kelly's work, but we also play softball together, so I know them too. They asked me to bring my turntables, mixer and some records. I played like an hour long set. It was really fun but I was really bad at it. All my DJ gear has been living in the garage for over four years since I gave up on all of that and got a real job. Still ... it was fun to mess around for just one night.

On Saturday we went to Kelly's mom's neighborhood. Our 4 year old nephew Bryce lives there too. I was basically bursting with pride until I almost cried because he dressed up as the cutest little Darth Vader you have ever seen and I am not ashamed to admit that there is only one source for his love of all things Star Wars: wait for it ... Uncle Matt! Of course he was being moody and wouldn't let me go trick or treating with him and instead he went with my daughter Kylie, but he made up for all of it with that costume selection.

The neighborhood is a really fun one where everyone knows each other and there are like several huge parties going on at once. I spent the majority of the night riding shotgun in my buddy Dale's golf cart, while 8 nine year old girls (including my daughter Madison) hung off the back and sides of the cart and made us stop and start at every house over and over ... it was a blast. We could only go about 1 mile an hour uphill, but it was worth it.

Sunday was not as good. I had gotten really sick by then so I spent almost all day in bed, getting depressed by watching football. Oh well, at least my fantasy team won. Both my daughters had friends spend the night because there is no school in the county today, and they all went trick or treating around our neighborhood again. Thank god mom was home to hand out candy. Of course after all the kids were done, there was the obligatory escape of the puppy and I had to run outside in my pajamas to chase her for 20 minutes.

How was your weekend, friends?

27 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Aw,Matt, feeling sick sucks. Glad you and your wife took the time to spend an evening with friends. As parents, we seem to neglect that 'old' aspects of ourselves. Life really is one big balancing act.

Feel better, my friend.

(We have a huge neighborhood and always spend Halloween between our house and our neighbors across the street. The kids do a candy swap. It's a riot. These kids can dicker with the best of'em.)

Candyland said...

Oh no:( Feel better! We took Lilli trick-or-treating in a schmancy neighborhood and scored big time. I'm sure to gain 10 by Christmas now.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Hope you're feeling better. I got the garage swept out and most of the leaves raked. My daughter's 13 so she's goes out trick or treating with her friends. My husband and I were home giving out the candy. It was fun.

Stina said...

Being sick sucks. Being sick for an adult party sucks big time. Hope you feel better soon.

Usually we don't have many trick or treaters, but this year was warm (no winter coats needed! no blizzards!). Even my kids were gone for well over an hour (guess, my husband really wanted the exercise). ;)

Renae said...

I'm sorry you spent the weekend sick, that is no fun at all. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your evening out with your wife anyway.

We did the trick-or-treating thing in our neighborhood. My youngest is four and was done by the time we made it around the block. Can't complain about that!

Feel better!

Shannon said...

Sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well. HATE being sick!

But...it does sound like you had a great time!

I was really disappointed that we didn't get a single trick-or-treater! Luckily, Mike's sister stopped by and we filled her with wine and gave her all of our chocolate. (Can't have that in the house or I'll eat it all!)

Other than that, we spent the weekend going out to eat to celebrate our anniversary. Italian and Indian! I'm still full.

Feel better soon!

Lindsay said...

Sorry you were sick, but I'm glad you still managed to have some fun.

I also spent my Halloween weekend sick, but I had a stomach bug. So I spent the weekend in bed. Least I caught up on my recorded TV programmes. :)

Lydia Kang said...

I felt so proud when my son dressed up as Clone Trooper Rex. Hubs and I are huge SW fans.
Hope you feel better! This gunk going around is getting everyone.

Old Kitty said...

I had a very healthy weekend,thank you for asking!! :-)

I'm so so so sorry you're ill!!! But what a trooper for Halloween though - got out and about and had fun time and helped your kids and sweet nephew to have a fun time too!!! Wonderful!!!

Well done for getting the puppy back in!! Yay!! Two days of trick or treating??!!? Yowza!

Take care
x

Melissa Gill said...

Sorry to hear you were sick *again!* At least you had some good Halloween fun on Friday and Saturday.

I can relate to the pride of a nephew dressing up like Darth Vader, although in my case it was my neice. That's all she wanted for her 4th B-day was a Darth Vader and Yoda costume. My sister laid the whole thing squarely in my lap. and I proudly accepted the blame.

Lola Sharp said...

Well, the beginning of your weekend sounds fun...and similar to mine.
But I'm so sorry your Sunday was spent in bed, sick. :(

I hope you feel better.

~Lola

Bish Denham said...

Glad you had a good time, sorry you got sick. But hey, I must protest, getting old has nothing to do with getting sick! I'm "old" and I hardly EVER get sick. (knock on wood.)

Karen Baldwin said...

Deep in the dark recesses of the psyche, lies the trickster. Sickness is it's alter ego. Hunt this devil down before it devours your creativity. What's this story you ask? Oh, it's the Halloween story I told my grandkids yesterday. BOO!

Colene Murphy said...

Awe! Sounds like such a fun start to the weekend! That neighborhood sounds amazingly fun.
Hope you get to feeling better soon though!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got to play DJ for a while. And with my luck, I would've been outside chasing that puppy in loungewear that needed mending. (If you know what I mean!)

Ted Cross said...

I had a cold, too, though not as bad as yours. Since Authonamy changed everything about how it works last week, I have been spending all my time there...and getting very discouraged. My book is getting a lot of low star votes, apparently meaning it is one of the worst written books on the site.

LTM said...

sick again! Need vitamins? Or too many little kid encounters? ;p Our 'hood's HUGE, so Me & youngest t-o-t'd a third of it and RACKED UP. Oldest had the stomach bug, so she wanted to stay home...! Otherwise, fall festival Sat~

[I bet DJ gig was better than YOU thought--modest. But big LOL @chasing pup. Feel better soon~ :o)]

Sarah Ahiers said...

a golf cart? AWWWW! Color me jealous!

Tahereh said...

awww feel better!! i'm happy you at least snuck some fun in, though.

:D

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better soon, Matt! I got stuck handing out candy this year because the kids wanted hubs to take them around the neighborhood. I thought I'd like staying in with my glass of red and scary movies on TV. Turns out, nothing scarier than The Fly was on, and opening a bottle seemed silly so I drank beer. *sigh* I was pretty bored.

But I've been writing today, so it's all good again!

Talli Roland said...

Sorry you feel ill! That really does bite the big one. I hope you're a bit better today!

Melissa said...

I hope you get better soon! Sorry to hear that you were feeling so sick but glad you could still scrounge up enough energy and wellness to mostly enjoy your weekend.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I hope you feel better! So cute to hear about the little Darth Vader. Hmm... maybe when my boys are a little older, one could be Luke and one could be Vader.... LOL, not that they'll need an excuse to fight!

LARCHMONT said...

Sorry to hear about the cold. It sounds like you still had a terrific time, though. Thanks for the post!

Unknown said...

Aww, being sick sucks!!! Feel better!!!

I had a great time at the Halloween party we had. My hubby loved his birthday celebration and everyone dressed in Costume!

storyqueen said...

Hope you feel better!

(And I can top your chasing puppy story....at school today, someone found a stray dog and decided the best place for it was my office....and when I opened the door it got out and I had to chase it through the school....)

Ah...a day for chasing puppies!

Shelley

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

You poor thing being sick on Halloween. But it sounds like the kiddies had fun. Thank goodness for moms, too! Mine was here while I was at WFC, helping to take care of the kids. I treasure her existence on a daily basis.