Monday, January 27, 2014

Blogging Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith Part 3


The corn. It's unstoppable.

Actually, not yet. I haven't gotten that far.

I did a little casual reading this weekend. Normally, I would have devoured this whole book in those few free days, but I've read it before, and I'm trying to pace myself. Sort of trying to make it last until release day. Anyway, I read these sections this weekend:

GOING SOMEWHERE YOU SHOULDNT GO • ROBBY'S VOLCANO • DOORS THAT GO SOMEWHERE; DOORS THAT GO NOWHERE • CURFEW •
STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER READ BOOKS • THE DEATH-RAY GUN • ROBBY COULD HAVE BEEN A PREACHER • NEVER NAME A PIZZA JOINT STAN'S • IF YOU EVER WANT TO GET SHOT IN EALING

Without giving too much away, plot-wise we're still in the very beginning of the book. Still meeting the characters, getting to know the town, and having the pudding-skin slowly peeled away from the madness underneath.

Here are some of my favorite Austin Szerba one-line zingers from this part of the book:

I might just as well have been a blowup doll.

Boys who dance are genetic volcanoes.

It wasn't a lie; it was an abbreviation.

I was on the conveyor belt toward the paper shredder of history with countless scores of other sexually confused boys.

If we didn't hate being Lutherans so much, Robby could easily have been a preacher.

And finally, my favorite part of this section of the book is the not-chapter titled STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER READ BOOKS. In it, Austin describes how he wrote a book report on THE CHOCOLATE WAR, by Robert Cormier, which I recently read and reviewed (and loved), and it's so hilarious and typical and just completely authentic the way the administration at his Lutheran school responds.

I would tell you all about it, but you should really just read the book (GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE and THE CHOCOLATE WAR, for that matter).

10 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

When is the release of this again? I WANT IT NOW.

You are doing Andrew a really big service with these posts, btw. He should send you a slab of beer. Or two. Or ten.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I'm going to second Jess in both comments. (I love that first quote. Haha!)

Rusty Carl said...

Those one liners are funny. Clever writing is the best. It always adds a layer of awesome to whatever else is going on in the scene.

Slamdunk said...

Trying to pace myself with a good book would be like me as a kid opening Christmas presents slowly. Glad you have more self control.

Slamdunk said...

Trying to pace myself with a good book would be like me as a kid opening Christmas presents slowly. Glad you have more self control.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Crap. Now i really want to eat some corn...

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love clever lines in books and movies and television. I try to remember them, but my brain fails sometimes.

Angela Brown said...

Those one-line zingers can really steal the show.

Old Kitty said...

I must remember the lie quote! LOL! Take care

x

SC Author said...

I love that lie quote as well :)