Monday, September 17, 2012

Optimism

First off - how bout them Seahawks?

Now, anyway, we took the kidlets to the Braves vs. Nationals on Saturday afternoon, and in spite of a dismal beginning, it turned out to be the best baseball game I've ever seen live.


We'd originally planned on going on Sunday, because it was a one o'clock game, and kids are allowed to run the bases after. My nephew, Bryce, started playing baseball this year, and would have loved to run the bases. But that was a big game, so MLB moved it to 8PM, and we had to change our plans.

We got a great deal on club level seats, which is pretty awesome, because they're great seats, but in spite of that, the game looked like it would be pretty disappointing at first. The main reason I wanted to go was to have one final chance to see Chipper Jones play at Turner Field. If you know anything about baseball, you know that Chipper is a first-ballot hall of famer, and possibly the best switch-hitter to ever play the game. So when we got to our seats, and I saw that not only was Tommy Hanson pitching, but Chipper wasn't starting, I was prepared to be furious.

Then, things got worse when we went down 4-0 by the top of the second. It looked like it was going to be a long, hard day. But I stayed optimistic, and kept an open mind, knowing the kids would enjoy themselves regardless, as long as they got cotton candy and ice cream (which they did), so I was pleasantly surprised when Freddy Freeman and Jason Heyward tied the game up by the sixth, and then Chipper came into the game.

The stands went wild as he stepped to the plate:


And my nephew started choppin':


Sadly, no hit for Chipper, but he did walk, and was on base as a hit batsman (Andrelton Simmons - welcome back!) drove in the eventual winning run. Here is in a powwow at third, while the Washington manager was getting tossed from the game at first:


Then, eventually, it was 5-4 in the top of the ninth, and we got to see my favorite Brave come in for the save:


I wish I could've gotten a better photo, but I only had my phone, so in case you cant' tell, that's Craig Kimbrel, the best young closer in the game.

He let one hitter on base with a single to left, but otherwise struck out the side, and put a perfect ending on what turned out to be a great day.

Here are a few other photos:


Mom and the kids.


That's how I wanna spend my 95th birthday.


Club-level seats, even the kids love em!

So that's it. How was your weekend? I've got some queries coming up soon, and then some tours and guest posts, so hopefully I'm going to be able to get back into the swing of blogging. I hope you all will start coming back to read. Anyway, have as good a Monday as you can!

32 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! Looking forward to your upcoming posts, Matt. I hope you're feeling more energized.

Laura Pauling said...

Fun fun! You never know when you go to a game if it's going to have been a great one to go to! Sounds like you guys lucked out!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Great pics! Your nephew is so cute. I'm sure he was in awe. I love taking the younger ones to games and such like this. Their innocent joy is contagious.

Karen Baldwin said...

Love the pics of your kids...a glove in one's hand, an Ipod or phone in the other's.

Kristen Wixted said...

I'm glad your sports day worked out so well.
Me? I was listening to the end of the Pats game.
*sigh*
Sooooo close...

Old Kitty said...

Hooorah for rounders! I mean baseball!! LOL!! Awwww the kidlets look like they had fun so double yay! Take care
x

Emily White said...

I love sports lingo. It doesn't make me feel stupid at all. Nope. Not. At. All. :P

Creepy Query Girl said...

Aw, looks like a great time! I'm not very baseball savy. I usually go for the hotdogs and nachos:)

LTM said...

Too fun! I love it!!! I think it's awesome you all had such a great time at something as boring as baseball... *snort* j/k!

I want a 95 yr-old suite, too! ;p <3

Kimberly Gabriel said...

What a fun weekend. Love the pics of the kids - they look like they had such a fun time!

Carolyn V said...

Looks like so much fun! Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Thompson said...

I, for one, never left. And hell, yeah! Go Hawks! Love being a 12th man! And I love baseball, too, though I prefer my home team Giants. But I've never had club seats at a baseball game. I did twice for the Sonics and that was awesome!

Bryan Russell said...

Good ol' Chipper.

mshatch said...

I used to have a clue about baseball, back when I had satellite tv and my son watched. Sadly, I don't even know where the red sox stand this year. In? Out? Looking forward to reading more queries critted - I have a new one I'm working on, might send it over one day.

Ted Cross said...

Love the pic where you son is doing the chop. I've only seen two pro baseball games live, and they were both boring blowouts of the team I wanted to win!

Anonymous said...

I didn't make it to a single game this year. That would have been a great game, though.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Sounds like you had a fun time.

Andrew Leon said...

I wish I enjoyed watching baseball. Or any sport, I suppose. Wait, I do like watching my daughter play softball, and her playoff game last season was the best sporting event I've ever seen. I even did a blog post on it, I was so inspired.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a fun time. I had to work concessions at a high school football game for the swim team. Not as much fun as you had.

Steve MC said...

Awesome game, especially with all that drama. And I love the optimism of a kid sitting with a glove.

mshatch - About the Red Sox, you don't want to know.

farawayeyes said...

Looks like fun.

Lydia Kang said...

Looks like fun and the kids are adorable, but I confess when it comes to baseball my brain goes fuzzy. Not a baseball fan! Football is another thing...

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Damn. I'd love to go to a baseball game with you. Or a football game. Or a hockey game. Where's my invite?

Lola Sharp said...

Looks like fun was had by all!

Jessica Salyer said...

Looks like you had a great time! We go to Brewers games a lot and the kids love it.

Jemi Fraser said...

We've taken the kids to a few Jays games and it's always so much fun! There's nothing quite like a live ball game :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you get to do that long before you're ninety-five!
Glad it was an awesome time. Been a few years since I've been to a professional game, although we see AA and AAA often.

Stina said...

I haven't been to a baseball game in decades. We don't have a team anymore. I used to go with my mom, who loved baseball (football, hockey). I think she preferred going with me than Dad, who wasn't into sports.

Sounds like you have a great time. Did you get me any cotton candy and ice cream? :D

Jay Noel said...

How about them Seakhawks? The Cowboys were so high and mighty coming in. That game wasn't even a contest!

Chipper Jones got a big ceremony and ovation here in St. Louis. A true champion.

alexia said...

Sounds fun! I know less than nothing about sports, but it's fun to feel the atmosphere in a crowded stadium (the few times I've been).

Angela Ackerman said...

Years ago, i was able to watch a few games here in Calgary before our Baseball team went elsewhere. Mykids were young, and the perfect age for the game. I'm so glad they got to experience a real game! Glad you guys had a blast!

Angela

Wine and Words said...

Really fun to see such a personal post. There's nothing better than kids and baseball. It's a ball in glove kind of feeling. Home.